I believe you are missing a basic concept:  Hiera is for the puppet MASTER, not
the agent/client.

>From http://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/1/installing.html#installing-hiera

Installing Hiera

If you are using Hiera with Puppet, you should install it on your puppet master
server(s); it is optional and unnecessary on agent nodes. (If you are using a
standalone puppet apply site, every node should have Hiera.)

Also, hiera and facter are two distinctly different beasties.  You can use
facter-facts in your heirarchy definitions to organize your data, but info from
hiera is different from info from facter.  Facter operates at the agent/client
level while hiera is at the puppet-master level.

HTH

“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric" <cam...@gmail.com>
To: puppet-users@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:34:20 PM
Subject: [Puppet Users] hiera can't see a value on a puppet client, but the
hiera app on the server can

When I run puppet on a client it says it can't find a parameter in hiera, but
If I run the hiera application on my puppet master and give it the same facts
that my client has, it finds them just fine. Why is that?

Here's how my client sees itself:

[root@tag5-4-qa-sjc ~]# facter --puppet | grep region
region => northamerica
[root@tag5-4-qa-sjc ~]# facter --puppet | grep datacenter
datacenter => sjc
[root@tag5-4-qa-sjc ~]# facter --puppet | grep environment
environment => qa
[root@tag5-4-qa-sjc ~]# facter --puppet | grep machinetype
machinetype => tag
[root@tag5-4-qa-sjc ~]# facter --puppet | grep hostname
hostname => tag5-4-qa-sjc

I run puppet and get this error:

err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER: Could
not find data item ak_auth_primary in any Hiera data file and no default
supplied at /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp:11 on node tag5-4-qa-sjc.domain.net

on my puppet master server:

$ hiera ak_auth_primary region=northamerica datacenter=sjc environment=qa

Answer: ops1-1-qa-sjc

$ hiera ak_auth_primary region=northamerica datacenter=sjc environment=qa
machinetype=tag hostname=tag5-4-qa-sjc

Answer: ops1-1-qa-sjc

Is it because I'm using an older version of Puppet with Hiera? I'm not quite
ready to upgrade to version 3 yet, but I plan to.

[root@tag5-4-qa-sjc ~]# rpm -qa | grep puppet
puppet-2.7.14-1.el6.noarch

user@puppet-server$ sudo rpm -qa | egrep '(puppet|hiera)'
puppet-2.7.12-1.el6.noarch