Dear All,

I am using puppet agent v3.0.1 (On FreeBSD), trying to connect to a puppet
master v3.0.2 (On Ubuntu) and the puppet agent hangs with the following
debug output:

*puppet agent --debug --no-daemonize*
Debug: /File[/var/puppet/ssl/private_keys]: Autorequiring
File[/var/puppet/ssl]
Debug: /File[/var/puppet/ssl/private]: Autorequiring File[/var/puppet/ssl]
Debug: /File[/var/puppet/ssl/private_keys/zg-3.XXXX.ch.pem]: Autorequiring
File[/var/puppet/ssl/private_keys]
Debug: /File[/var/puppet/ssl/public_keys/zg-3.XXXX.ch.pem]: Autorequiring
File[/var/puppet/ssl/public_keys]
Debug: Finishing transaction 17214983260
[hangs.. and a minute os so later reports..]
Error: Could not request certificate: execution expired
Error: Could not request certificate: execution expired

These is no indication of a connection being made on the puppet master.

1. I have checked with netcat & telnet and confirmed that I able to
initiate a connection from the agent to the server and exchange data.

2. The same puppet master has worked correctly with a different FreeBSD
agent running Puppet v3.0.2

3. Running tcpdump during the agent run shows that some packets are going
back and forth between the agent and server

4. I have run truss on the (FreeBSD) puppet agent command and saw that the
agent is getting the following error (twice):

  read(6,0x80711c3c6,1854)                         ERR#35 'Resource
temporarily unavailable'

File handle 6 is from a 'connect' to the puppet master, with the correct IP
address and port number (8140)

5. I suspect an agent/master compatibility issue, or perhaps an sl library
compatibility. I don't think it's an SSL certificate (no certificate
related errors) or time synchronization problem (both systems run NTP).

Any hints on how to debug this?

Thanks in advance,

Alan Hodgkinson

P.S. Please ask for any (config) information necessary to help diagnose the
problem.