On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Nikola Petrov <nikol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can second that. Not sure why puppetlabs decided to invent yet another
> package system with it's own problems and metadata definition and
> updates specifics

While I'm not disagreeing that this is a pain, I think part of the
difficulty with using system packages is they tend to assume you have one
set of files going into one place.   How do you easily package up a module
when you want it to go into:

/etc/puppet/environments/production/x
/etc/puppet/environments/dev/x

Keeping in mind everyone has a different number of environments they want
modules in.  I think that definitely makes things complex for OS level
packaging.  Having said that, package{} really should grow a puppetmodule
provider to make some of this easier. :)