I'm glad you found a solution :-).

I think this is a bug though. Would you mind if you raised a ticket
for this in our redmine tracker with the details of your error and
solution? At least if we can record it for the purpose of errata, it
might help someone else - or we might come to a proper solution around
it eventually.

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppetdb/issues/new

BTW, what does your puppet.conf look like?