There are other ways. None are nice and clean, but a custom fact just
for this seems overkill.

Here's a quick example of how I've implemented creating a default
~/.gitconfig for users if it doesn't exist, but not modify it if it's
already there or has been modified.

    $gitconfig_user_name = $mymodule::uservar::fullname[$title]
    $gitconfig_user_email = "${title}@example.com"
    file { "${home}/.gitconfig":
      owner   => $owner,
      group   => $group,
      mode    => '0644',
      require => Exec["create-gitconfig-${title}"],
    }
    exec { "create-gitconfig-${title}":
      command => template('mymodule/user/gitconfig.erb'),
      require => User[$title],
      creates => "${home}/.gitconfig",
    }

The gitconfig.erb has the following content :
/bin/cat > <%= home %>/.gitconfig << EOF
[user]
        name = <%= @gitconfig_user_name %>
        email = <%= @gitconfig_user_email %>
EOF

Basically, just don't have either 'source' nor 'content' for your file
resource, and create the initial content using an exec with the
'creates' condition.

Matthias