On Friday, May 24, 2013 9:15:47 AM UTC-7, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:

> On 24/05/13 11:43, Paul T�tterman wrote:
> >     Did something change in the way Puppet outputs messages? Until this
> >
> >     morning we used the following to run Puppet from Cron on all our
> nodes:
> >
> >     But as of 3.2.1 this produces output on every Puppet agent run and
> that
> >     output is mailed out, resulting in hundreds of messages which
> contain
> >     nothing of importance (see below). This had worked fine for almost
> two
> >     years now, with output only generated on errors and problems (such
> as
> >     DNS not available).
> >

> > I'm having the same issue. I couldn't find a bug report about this.
> > There is --verbose and --debug, but not --silent or --quiet. Should we
> > maybe use --logdest? Anyway the behaviour has changed from 3.1.1
>
> We have always been using "--logdest syslog", it is only with 3.2.1 that
> log messages now seem to go not only to syslog but also to stdout, which
> is why Cron generates annoying mail messages.
>
> Even more interesting: before 3.2.1 /var/log/syslog would only show the
> "finished catalog run" message when running Puppet from Cron with
> "puppet agent -o --no-daemonize --logdest syslog":

> So, I am asking the Puppet devs: is this behaviour intended or a bug?
> Should I open a bug report?
>
> Andreas

This is a bug; it's an unintended side effect of a patch that went in to
3.2.x intended to provide better log output prior to the puppet agent
daemonizing.  It's currently tracked in Redmine as 20900 and 20919.  The
patch has been reverted and this is schedule to be released in 3.2.2, which
should be out soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Josh Partlow
Puppet Dev