My environment: Ubuntu LTS 12.04, carbon
(https://github.com/graphite-project/carbon) 0.9.9 installed using "pip".

I just learned why when I run "pip freeze" on a system I don't see the
"carbon" package even when it installed successfully - I should run it with
"PYTHONPATH=/opt/graphite/lib/ pip freeze".
(ref: https://github.com/graphite-project/carbon/issues/86)

This causes Puppet to re-install the package on every run (and reload
dependant servers), even though it's already installed and there is nothing
that really needs to be done.

I guess this is the package's fault, but it made me hit once more a
limitation in Puppet i.e. that I don't have a way to pass options or
environment variables to "pip".

Apparently there are already a couple of issues and pull requests for this
in https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/1507
and https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/18029, but they don't seem
likely to be accepted.

Alternatively - can anyone point me to how they solved the carbon package
(or a similar) issue? i.e. that it doesn't get re-installed on every Puppet
run?

Thanks,

--Amos