On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Wolf Noble <w...@wolfspyre.com> wrote:

> I've been asked to explore the landscape of network device management via
> puppet.

There are two approaches, either run an agent on the device such as
juniper, or manage through a proxy agent.

in particular, I'm looking to support cisco, and force10 switches.

I'm not sure the cisco device support that's built in is very robust at the
moment. I've heard someone mention a demo of cisco one pk, but haven't seen
the module anywhere.

I know about the network device system, I'm wondering if that's the way to
> go for both cisco and force10, or if there's a better way for one or both?

I'm assuming you are willing to roll your sleeve to implement this.
Emulating what the network admin would type via CLI is going to be brittle
(i.e. ios commands), so I would look at the device API docs to get a better
idea what it takes to manage them.

I've seen the Juniper netdev module, but haven't the gear to play with it.

I think the netdev module is easier to follow than the cisco resource to
get an idea what is needed to implemented a device resource. IMO, you don't
need to adhere to device resource type, and it's actually easier to
implement support through regular puppet resources.

HTH,

Nan