In regard to: Re: [Puppet Users] passing an environment variable to a...:

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Tim Mooney <tim.moo...@ndsu.edu> wrote:

We have some custom types & providers related to mysql (mysql_user,
mysql_grant, mysql_db) written by an admin that's no longer here.  The
provider just uses the mysql command to run various commands, e.g:

Puppet::Type.type(:mysql_user)**.provide(:mysql) do
    desc "Provider for a mysql user"

    optional_commands :mysql => 'mysql'

    mk_resource_methods

    def create
        debug "mysql_user create"
        @property_hash[:ensure] = :present
        mysql('mysql','-e',"create user '%s' identified by '%s';" %
                [@resource[:name].sub("@","'@'**"),@resource[:password]])
    end

    def flush
        debug "in flush"
        mysql('mysql','-e','flush privileges;')
        @property_hash.clear
    end

        # other stuff elided
end

For this particular provider/type to work, though, it requires that
you actually have root's environment, because it relies on reading some
config from /root/.my.cnf.

That means that on most of our hosts, doing

        sudo puppet agent --test

works fine, but on hosts where we use our mysql module with the custom
types and provider, we can't do that.  We instead have to

        sudo su -
        puppet agent --test

to make certain we've picked up root's environment, specifically HOME.

What I would like to do is augment the provider so that the mysql command
is always invoked with the environment augmented with HOME=/root or
(even better) HOME=roots_home_from_facter.

In Puppet 3, home environment can be passed something like:

has_command(:brew, 'brew') do
 environment({ 'HOME' => ENV['HOME'] })
end

Thanks Nan.  Even though I know better, I forgot to supply one bit of
info -- we're still running puppet 2.7.x and I'm not certain when we're
going to move to 3.2.x.

Is there a puppet 2.7.x equivalent?

Tim
--