> I have a standard Puppet 2.7 configuration installed from Gem on Ubuntu
> 12.04, running behind Apache.
>
> I'm testing the reprovisioning of the puppet master from scratch in Vagrant
> and ran into a little snug - apache configuration points to a puppet
> ca_crl.pem file which doesn't exist, so apache refuses to start.

Have you tried just using 'puppet cert generate <mymaster_name>' to
populate the initial certificates? I don't have a 2.7.x around, but
for 3.x it repopulates all the missing certificates it seems including
ca_crl.pem.

> The puppet master documentation says that it'll automatically generate this
> file if it isn't present, but I need a way to get it generated automatically
> before apache tries to start.

Yes, and it does - when you start it standalone using webrick (ie.
puppet master --no-daemonize --debug --log console ... or something
will probably do the trick). But the SSL offloading to Apache kind of
breaks this as you've mentioned.

ken.