On 07/05/2013 02:46 PM, David Schmitt wrote:

> One of the big arguments for puppet is the unifying aspect of devs and
> ops to use the same tool/language/process, which improves cooperation,
> agility and quality of the work. This indicates that your application
> deployment should be integrated into your puppet manifests and those
> manifests should be integrated into the application development/release
> cycle.

But how are they integrated in your environment? What would you do in my
case?

> Another big point in puppet's favor is that it doesn't want to be the
> be-all-end-all. If there's a tool that is better suited to a task (the
> prime example being package managers) then *please* use that. This
> indicates that if capistrano is a good match for your organization's
> application deployment (especially in the area of orchestration across
> nodes and rollback it leaves puppet in the dust), then you should
> leverage those capabilities.

And that's exactly why are we using another tool for the job.

> You write "this poses a problem for me, because I'm used to manage
> configuration files via puppet." While that may just be lost in
> translation, it does sound like your problem is of a much more personal
> and a less technical level.

> In that case you really need to get rid of
> the us-against-them attitude and find solutions that enable the
> organization as a whole to repeatably deliver more value faster while
> reducing the associated risks.

'you need to find solutions' is a thing I already now. If I didn't know
that, I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. On the
other hand, one thing I didn't ask about was online psychotherapy...

Did I offend you some how with my OP? If I did, I'm really sorry, that
was not my intention.

> This is a non-issue as the deployment process will always be able to
> push the changes it needs into the system. So a subversion (no pun
> intended) of the deployment process will always be a death knell,
> independent of the used tool. So either the devs have the need and right
> to modify those configuration files, or they don't. If they have the
> need and right, then they also share the responsibility for the system.

Yeah, but things have to stay pretty tight. For example: if you enable
some user account to push files into dot-d directory, not-if-but-when
that account gets broken into, you have a possibility of privilege
escalation.

So, allowing the write privilege for that directory obviously is not a
good choice.