On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Ashley Penney <ashley.pen...@puppetlabs.com
> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Now that Puppetlabs has a module team we thought we should start trying to
> keep the community informed as to what we're doing and why on earth we're
> doing it.  I wanted to put together a short update (I'm aiming to do these
> every friday) as to where we stand.

This is awesome I've been waiting for this to be prioritized as well. :)

> We appreciate each and every PR you send us (unless you forgot specs,
> which makes me shout at a puppy) and hopefully we'll be able to shorten the
> cycle of merging them as this work goes forward.

Specs are really hard for first time contributors, a lot of Pull Requests
are still in the backlog of unmerged PRs due to the submitter being asked
to submit Spec tests. I would like to see some documentation we can point
first time contributors too. The corresponding ticket is:

https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/14456

Also perhaps the new module team can make the final decision on:

https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/11118

Looking forward I would like to see Puppet modules development remove the
bottleneck on Puppetlabs staff and other module maintainers to merge PRs.
Often times I submit PRs for new OS support or additional features to
really good modules on Github or the Forge and the maintainer does not have
the time or OS to review, test and merge the PR.

A possible solution might be to mirror The Openstack Project. They have a
pretty effective process of using Gerrit + Jenkins to review, test, and
merge code.

The goal would be to allow us to have "community supported" official
modules kind of like how the Nagios project has a nagios-plugins repo. I
think a system like this or similar would allow us to:

 * Submit new modules for inclusion as "official community" modules
 * Support faster iteration on more operating systems
 * Reduce the number of competing modules on the forge, everyone doesn't
need there own custom Apache module
 * Improve the quality of modules and increase the amount of testing
 * Reduce the number of "bad" modules on the Forge

I look forward to hearing people's ideas and continuing the discussion.

William