On 12.07.2013 20:06, Dan White wrote:
> I am getting into managing user accounts with Puppet - and having a blast !
>
> I stumbled on this and wanted to ask:
>
> If I type :                       I get:
> puppet resource user              The expected puppet list of all the logins.
> puppet resource file              Error: Could not run: Listing all file
> instances is not supported.
>                                   Please specify a file or directory, e.g.
> puppet resource file /etc
> puppet resource file /etc/passwd  A puppet resource as I would expect
>
> HOWEVER !
> If I type "puppet resource ssh_authorized_key"  I get nothing.  No error, no
> output.  Bupkis !
>
> I even tried the model of the file resource and tried:
> puppet resource ssh_authorized_key <name of a resource I defined and realized>
> ...and still got nothing.
>
> Is this expected behavior or what ?

`puppet resource` does only work for a limited set of resource types:
a) there is such a thing as a list of resources (e.g. it does not work
for the exec resource type because you can execute endless combinations
of commands)
b) the list can be generate without any additional information

The first one is obvious I guess. The second one is more important here:
If I ask puppet about users, puppet can get a list pretty easily (in the
end it is like running `getent passwd` on the commandline). If you ask
for a list of ssh keys: How should puppet know where to look for ssh keys?

-Stefan