On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Greg Chavez <greg.cha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Removing ruby1.9.1 fixed the problem.
>
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Greg Chavez <greg.cha...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I run puppet 3.2.2 on about 500 RedHat 5/6 systems.  I have about 15
> > Ubuntu servers that run OpenStack; today I added the stdlib module to
> > take advantage of the file_line type in a new module I had written AND
> > I upgraded the puppet clients from 2.7 to match the other RedHat
> > clients.  This automatically upgraded ruby from 1.8 to 1.9.
> >
> > The first run of puppet agent successfully applied my new module, but
> > each subsequent run results in this error:
> >
> > root@ceph-cs-sn-06i:/var/lib/puppet/lib/facter# puppet agent -t
> > Info: Retrieving plugin
> > Error: Could not retrieve local facts: undefined method `each' for
> > #<String:0x0000000259f630>
> > Error: Failed to apply catalog: Could not retrieve local facts:
> > undefined method `each' for #<String:0x0000000259f630>
> >
> > The problem here is that I use each a lot.  How can I troubleshoot
> > this further, and is it possible that something has changed in ruby
> > 1.9 that is causing this?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > \*..+.-
> > --Greg Chavez
> > +//..;};
>

> --
> \*..+.-
> --Greg Chavez
> +//..;};

Ruby 1.8 automatically coerces strings and single-element arrays, so
"string" becomes ["string"], and #each can be called on it. Ruby 1.9 does
not do this, so things magically break.

Can you run `puppet agent -t --trace`? If the issue is not with a custom
fact you've written, please file a ticket in redmine against facter and
include the relevant stacktrace.

Josh

--
Josh Cooper
Developer, Puppet Labs

*Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco - *
http://bit.ly/pupconf13*
**Register now and take advantage of the Early Bird discount - save 25%!*