Clay,
I've opened a pull to address this issue. We have long since stopped
using the createpackage.sh task internally for building apple packages
and instead use our shared rake tasks. Specifically, `rake
package:bootstrap` followed by `rake package:apple` is how we build
packages internally for release.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Clay Caviness <ccavin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The facter 1.6.18 tarball has many issues. First, the
> ext/osx/createpackage.sh script still uses packagemaker, which is
> deprecated. And even if it used that, there are a few references to files in
> the now-deleted conf/osx/ directory.
>
> So it's pretty difficult to create a Mac pkg from this, but after some
> tweaking of the createpackage.sh script, I managed to do it! I ran the
> package it created, and noticed the preflight script was taking a looooong
> time to run. I looked at it, and ...
>
> Well, here is the last two lines of the preflight as shipped in the tarball:
> $ tail -2 ext/osx/preflight
> # remove old doc files
> /bin/rm -Rf "${3}/"
>
> Pop quiz for everyone: what could go wrong here? I'll give a hint, when
> installing a Mac package, $3 is set to the path of the target install
> volume.
>
> Looking at the source in git, I'm not sure how this preflight got into this
> state; all the packaging stuff is currently a mess (both facter and puppet
> are still using the long-deprecated packagemaker tool, among other issues).
>
> Anyway, thankfully I caught this before it killed my local home, but I did
> have to re-image.
>
> (Filed http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/21760 with the contents of this
> email, as well.)

Matthaus Owens
Release Manager, Puppet Labs

Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco -
http://bit.ly/pupconf13
Register now and take advantage of the Early Bird discount - save 25%!