What puppet master version are you running? I also seem to see this bizarre
behavior in 2.6.11 and no one at puppet labs has responded to this hiera
issue it just goes unanswered, I've also read that the catalog gets compile
in random order on each run prior to 2.7, this explains some weird results
i've seen in the past.

As stated earlier switch and put common last in the hiera.yaml file.

As a test try this. change yaml file like so:

:backends:
    - yaml

:hierarchy:
    - common
    #- '%{env_name}'
:yaml:
    :datadir: /var/lib/hiera/data

put the class or module info you have from your envXX.yaml file in the
common.yaml file.

If catalog run is successful then you are dealing with the weird hiera bug.
 WOuld be interested to know your results, good luck.