Sam,

You should setup MCollective. You can implement a simple plugin that
changes the global noop setting in puppet.conf and restarts the
daemon.

That will give you the best scalability, and you have fine-grained
control in MCollective on which hosts run using metadata in your
Puppet classes and facts.

Regards,
Justin