Hi James,
One thing to take into account here is that hiera_config is under the
[master] section, so it might not take into account settings in
[agent], such as the environment.
Try running puppet master --configprint environment to see if it's set
to the default (which is production).

Hope this helps!
Pablo D. Wright
Technical Operations  - www.edrans.com
Buenos Aires: +54 11 5368 5839  - Ext. 8017 |
Las Vegas: +1 5057183014