On Monday, August 19, 2013 9:49:59 AM UTC-5, JeremyCampbell wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Thank you for a most well considered response given my level of
> understanding. I'd much appreciate an example of a system sliced along 2 or
> more different dimensions that need to be flattened into one, this is the
> only part not clear to me.

It was not individual systems I was talking about slicing, but rather your
overall pool of systems.  For example, suppose you want dev, staging, and
production environments for your system configuration management.  Suppose
you also want separate (sets of) environments for different departments
(say R&D, sales, and accounting).  Flattening these means you end up with
environments such as rnd_dev, rnd_staging, sales_production, etc. -- a
total of nine environments.  Each system must be assigned to exactly one
environment.

John