Great! I remember glancing at your nametag (A fellow -ski!)

Thanks for the pointer. However, it still isn't working.

root@agent2:~ # puppet agent --test --waitforcert 30
Error: Could not request certificate: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0
state=SSLv2/v3 read server hello A: (null)
[...]

Ah! I figured this out. So, my Puppet Enterprise instance had two names
(puppetmaster and another name). This arcane error simply happened because
my agent was connecting to the server with one name, and the server
presented a certificate with a different name. Perhaps this was with a
problem with another certificate in the certificate chain. Simple problem,
but the error was not at all clear, and was unlike any openssl error that
I've run into in the past.

-= Stefan