> What does this mean ?
>
> Warning: /etc/puppetdb/ssl/private.pem does not match the file used by
> Puppet (/var/lib/puppet/ssl/private_keys/puppettest.eng.com.pem)
> Warning: /etc/puppetdb/ssl/public.pem does not match the file used by Puppet
> (/var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs/puppettest.eng.com.pem)
>
> Both should match ?

So basically yes, they should match - puppetdb-ssl-setup uses the
certificates from the agent/master more for simplicity sake, but
whatever cert you choose to use - it must be signed by the same CA
that the client's certificate (in this case the puppet master) was
signed with.

In this case I can only presume that it was using old certificates
that were signed by an old CA certificate - and since you had
mentioned you have renewed something in your certificates dir that
caused an issue. Its just hard to articulate to users that they must
run 'puppetdb-ssl-setup' when this happens (although we do document it
here:
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppetdb/latest/maintain_and_tune.html#redo-ssl-setup-after-changing-certificates).

In the future we are hoping that we can just point the configuration
in jetty.ini directly at the Puppet certs without this need for
copying certs, but currently the directories and private key in
particular are locked down ... this can be fixed with a change to
puppet.conf, but its something I'm wary of doing with
'puppetdb-ssl-setup' since that file might be managed by something
else ... and clobbering other files like that is impolite. We are
going to revisit the issue in the future since its such a PITA for
people (and for me also), but ideas welcome :-).

ken.