We use Puppet to deploy multi-tiered apps.
Our apps are packaged as RPMs using the Maven RPM plugin (generally, we use
RPM to express dependencies, such as Tomcat/Apache).  For orchestration
(setting up the DB before starting the app,for example) we use MCollective
(calling the different tiers by specifying facts that tell MCollective
which nodes to run at which point in the process)

We are also actively moving towards not needing the orchestration - making
the apps resilient enough to embrace failure (i.e. of the DB is not
available, wait a while and try again)

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Nikola Petrov <nikol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can only recommend a push based solution(puppet is a pull based). I
> like python so I use fabric[1] but I know that other shops(ruby based) use
> capistrano.
>
> If the DB will be the only precondition it might be ok to do this with
> puppet but for something more distributed a push based solution is far
> better.
>
> [1]http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.7/
>
> --
> Nikola
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 04:47:03AM -0700, Bhuwan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is Puppet a good choice to deploy JAVA applications (Tomcat) where there
> > exists a cross-system dependency (i.e. the database should be deployed
> > before the web app)?
> >

> > If not, any suggestions for alternatives?
> >
> > --

GVoice: 707.410.0371
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brendanobra