On Friday, August 23, 2013 11:33:14 AM UTC-5, JeremyCampbell wrote:

> Eric, thanks. I've spent most of today trying to get this to work but I
> have to submit again. I've read the linked docs on variables multiple
> times. As I understand it, with Puppet you cannot assign top-level
> variables i.e. starting with $::, these are reserved for facts and other
> built in Puppet values.

It is correct that facts and certain Puppet-based data are available to to
the catalog compiler top-scope variables.  It is incorrect that these are
the only sources of such variables.  An ENC may set top-scope variables, or
you can set them in site.pp, outside any node, class, or definition body.
Also, you can set variables inside a node block.  I think these are still
visible elsewhere as unqualified variables (e.g. ${role}, not ${::role}),
but at one point there was a plan to basically make them inaccessible
outside the block in which they were declared.

> So I assign $role = "nameserver" in the role::nameserver class - this
> works and I get no errors. However no matter what I do hiera doesn't
> recognise the variable as shown below.
>
> - "%{::environment}/%{::clientcert}"
> - "%{::clientcert}"
> - "%{::environment}
> - "%{role}"
> - common
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this?

You are setting ${role::nameserver::role}.  Hiera is performing its lookup
in a different context and therefore not resolving the unqualifed 'role' to
the same thing.

How best to proceed depends on several things, among them how big your
role-specific data are, and how they fit into the overall picture of your
data hierarchy.

John