If you haven't already done this you should head over to
http://apt.puppetlabs.com/ after the vagrant instance boots and grab the
appropriate http://apt.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-precise.debpackage
first so that you're using our packages rather than the default
Ubuntu ones.  Hopefully if you use those you should get a better result!

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM, <audrey.lee.is...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello world.
>
> I found the learning puppet site so I thought that would be a good place
> to start.
>
> I downloaded the vm.
>
> I was able to import it into virtualbox.
>
> But then it hung during bootup.
>
> So I used vagrant to vagrant up a clean precise64 box.
>
> I did apt-get install puppet
>
> apt-get got me this:
>
> vagrant@precise64:~$
> vagrant@precise64:~$ puppet --version
> 2.7.11
> vagrant@precise64:~$
>
> vagrant@precise64:~$ which puppet
> /usr/bin/puppet
> vagrant@precise64:~$
> vagrant@precise64:~$ aptitude search puppet
> p   etherpuppet
> p   etherpuppet:i386
> p   mcollective-plugins-puppetca
> p   mcollective-plugins-puppetd
> p   mcollective-plugins-puppetral
> i   puppet
> i A puppet-common
> p   puppet-el
> p   puppet-lint
> p   puppet-testsuite
> p   puppetmaster
> p   puppetmaster-common
> p   puppetmaster-passenger
> p   vim-puppet
> vagrant@precise64:~$
> vagrant@precise64:~$
>
> Then I tried the first command in learning puppet:
>
> puppet resource service
>
> I saw a screen full of warnings like this 1:
>
> warning: Service network-interface-container found in both debian and
> upstart; skipping the upstart version
>
> Then I saw an error at the end:
>
> Could not run: Execution of '/sbin/status wait-for-state' returned 1:
> status: Unknown parameter: WAITER
>
> I tried a reboot to see if that helped.
>
> Reboot did not help.
>
> I'm looking for clues on how to get puppet up in a clean ubuntu 12.04
> virtual box.
>
> If I need to steer clear of Vagrant to make puppet work,
> that is a non-starter for us.
>
> We had planned to do a lot of mixing of Vagrant and puppet.
>

>  --

Ashley Penney
ashley.pen...@puppetlabs.com
Module Engineer

*Join us at PuppetConf 2014, September 23-24 in San Francisco*