jcbollinger [09.09.2013 16:48]:

> On Friday, September 6, 2013 8:44:44 AM UTC-5, Werner Flamme wrote:
>>
>> Werner Flamme [28.08.2013 13:18]:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wonder why the puppet agent on the server itself will not run:

[...]

>> I'm still none wiser. Another client (SLES 11 SP2) runs fine with this
>> server, and the same modules are used. So it must be a permissions thing
>> on the client, but where?
>>
>> BTW, all boxes now run puppet-3.2.4-1.1 from the
>> systemsmanagement:puppet repos on openSUSE's build system.
>>

> My first guess would be that you have multiple versions of Puppet
> installed, and somehow  the agent you are trying to run is getting the Ruby
> libraries for the other version.  Perhaps something like that could happen
> if you install one version via RPM and another via gem, or worse, directly
> from source.

Hi John,

thanks for your input.

I do not remember installing Ruby or any gem from other sources than via
rpm. In /usr/lib64/ruby, I have only 1.9.1 subdirectories in the
respective places, and their timestamps are so close together that I can
only assume a "mass install" by rpm.

But I'm staring like an idiot at my screen now: it works.

Some 5 hours ago I was still stuck with the error, and now it works!?
OK, there is an error (as it is a test client), but this is the first
time this client did not complain about the errors I gave at the start.

I'm scratching my head, but nevertheless: thank you!

Regards,
Werner