For #1: Puppet is very good at managing cron jobs, in fact there's a cron
resource type that makes that very easy:

http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/latest/type.html#cron

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to do #2. You could maybe run a puppet
apply on that manifest out of cron if you have it on all the nodes, but
then you have to deal with getting the code installed on all the hosts,
keeping it up to date, etc.

Honestly, I think you're making this a lot harder than it needs to be. Just
run the agent. It shouldn't cause a big performance issue, especially when
you only have a few simple modules. The agent runs by default every 30
minutes, maybe that's really often enough to make your check? You could set
it to run every 5 minutes too.

You may find as you go on that there are things you'll want puppet to do
much more often than once a day. Like managing user accounts, for example
-- you're maybe not going to want to wait up to a day for a new account to
show up on the hosts.

Rich