On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:07:59 AM UTC-5, David Thompson wrote:

> On 9/10/13 5:49 PM, Denmat wrote:
>
> > On 11/09/2013, at 1:38, David Thompson
> > <dtho...@waisman.wisc.edu<javascript:>
> > <mailto:dtho...@waisman.wisc.edu <javascript:>>> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm working with custom facts with facter 1.7.2.  I've created a fact
> >> file with an ntp configuration fact in it:
> >>
> >> # grep ntp_conf /etc/facter/facts.d/myfacts.txt
> >> puppet:///modules/ntp/DEFAULT/ntp_conf
> >>
> >> facter knows the fact is there:
> >>
> >> # facter -p v_ntp__ntp_conf
> >> puppet:///modules/ntp/DEFAULT/ntp_conf
> >>
> >> ...but puppet thinks the variable is undefined:
> >>
> >> # cat /tmp/notify.pp
> >> notify{$hardwaremodel:}
> >> notify{$v_ntp__ntp_conf:}
>
> For completeness, I'll add that I get the same result regardless of
> whether I refer to the custom fact as $v_ntp__ntp_conf or
> $::v_ntp__ntp_conf, regardless of whether I try to expand the custom
> fact in a string or use it in a conditional test.
>
> Based on the lack of response, it looks like I should open a bug report?

Lack of response?  This is a volunteer community forum, not a paid
technical support service.  Give it some time.

Before you open a bug report, you should make sure that the file containing
your custom fact(s) is readable by the Puppet agent service.  That facter
can read the file when you run it from the command line does not prove
that.  Even though the agent runs as a privileged user (or should), access
could still be blocked in various ways, such as

   1. Mandatory access controls (a.k.a. SELinux in enforcing mode) could
   allow you to read the file, but prevent the agent service from doing so.
   2. If /etc/facter/facts.d is on an NFS-mounted filesystem that performs
   root-squashing, then the agent may have less permissions on it than you,
   personally, do.

There are probably other means.

Also, make sure Puppet is using the same Facter that you are using from the
command line.  If you have multiple versions installed then all manner of
havoc might ensue.  You might get multiple versions by installing them from
gem or from source into different Ruby libraries, or into different parts
of the same Ruby lib.

John