Mostly surrounding if there are better(less hackish) ways of doing things.

The first is the classic exported resource expiration problem.  My existing
modules use a wrapper that uses an inline template to call out to Ruby's
Time function, set a timestamp, and set the resource to absent after an
expiration period, a cleanup script then runs on the database node and
purges exported resources that belong to nodes that would qualify as
unresponsive + a grace period of a few days.  I see I can now generify this
a bit more with create_resources, but Is there a better or built-in way to
do this now?

The second involves puppet being declarative and the edge cases where you
really need it not to be.  A lot of times I wound up writing custom
providers or lenses to skirt around this, but when that just wouldn't do(or
was overkill), I used a rather hackish wrapper around
Puppet::Provider::Collection.  I'd either construct the Collection and then
evaluate it(when I wanted the resources realized) or do an instance_eval to
directly access the private collection method, followed by a map/collect to
convert the selected resource into a hash, and return a entirely
constructed array composed of said hashes.  I was never quite able to
figure out how I was supposed to pass in equery/vquery, so I wound up
re-implementing those and the whole thing is pretty inefficient and a bit
dangerous.

All I really need to be able to do is collect say, all exported resources
of type foo with target bar into an array so I can iterate through it in
some of my templates where a provider is overkill and no lens is available.
 Is this possible yet, or are we still stuck on never allowing this?

Thanks for any replies,
--Nick