Hi all,

I'm trying to find a better way to implement this, but I can't think of. I
have a jdk module that requires to create a symlink to whatever version is
the one installed. Say I install jdk-6u35, it will create something like
/usr/java/jdk_1.6.35. I would like to create a symlink /usr/java/jdk whose
target would be /usr/java/jdk_1.6.35.

The point here isn't to ask how to create the symlink - that's
straightforward. I'm in a chicken-egg problem. I'm sure there's got a
better and easier way to do this that I can't think of.

I wrote a facter to report the jdk version running. Based on the string
returned by the facter, it works great. However, I jdk is not installed,
this facter returns nil - the catalog is compiled and the value was nil at
compilation time - and the file resource, property target, fails. I bypass
this with an if clause and everything runs fine because jdk is already
there and the symlink will be created. I know I could tell my facter to
return something else (actually I create a link to latest, and that works,
but it's a poor's man solution).

Have any you run into this situation? Any suggestion? Not convinced if
facter is the way to go in this particular case.

Thanks,
-fred