Hi Tim,
    For managing server specific parameters i will suggest you to use
hiera, please refer link http://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/1/puppet.html
So for 1st example: you can either use heira or use parametrized class so
that you can pass server specific parameters ( admin list) from site.pp.
i.e. different value of admin list for different node.

For 2nd example:
   Create fact to find your special case machines. and you can use
condition

if $<fact_name> == "special case"
{
  <then condition>
  here use different port number for iptables rule.
}

Thanks and Regards,

Sneha More,
NTT DATA GTS, OSS Center, India, (Pune)