Thanks Jason and Jared,
I think, like Jared said, that  the user trying to create the tempfile
cannot write to it (this user may well be puppet, not root.
So i checked on puppetmaster:
-permissions:/etc/init.d ls -la
    -rwsr-xr-x  1 root root 3727 Sep 12 22:57 puppetmaster

   /var/lib/puppet/yaml$ ls -la
   total 16
   drwxr-xr-x  4 puppet puppet 4096 Sep 27 13:06 .
   drwxrwxrwx 15 puppet puppet 4096 Sep 27 17:59 ..
   drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Oct  9 15:33 facts

I also checked for disk full  and inodes too.