On Friday, October 11, 2013 1:09:23 PM UTC-5, Eric Sorenson wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who kicked the tires on the experimental data in
> modules feature included in Puppet 3.3.0. We got a lot of feedback, some
> cool proof-of-concept modules, and a definitive conclusion to the
> experiment.
>
> The idea of including a module-specific hiera backend is centered around
> one primary use case: replacing the 'params class pattern', a common idiom
> in Puppet modules that's described in the [Using Parameterized
> Classes][param-classes] guide.

I guess I wasn't following this closely enough to realize that getting rid
of the "params" class pattern was an objective.  I thought this was a
somewhat more general initiative.

[...]

So the proposed solution at this point is:
> - enable an implicit data-binding lookup against the hiera-puppet backend
> for a value of 'classname::variable' in the file
> 'modules/classname/manifests/params.pp', which simplifies class definition
> and provides consistency with other hiera backends. As a module author,
> you'd still leave your logic for variables in params.pp, but they'd be
> implicitly looked up via data bindings as the class is declared, after
> consulting site-wide hiera.

Do I understand correctly that you set out to get rid of the ::params class
pattern, but now you favor an approach that depends on that pattern?  Why
is that better than being more general: enable an implicit lowest-priority
hierarchy level for values of form 'modulename::variable', drawing on data
from per-module data files such as modules/modulename/data.yaml?

John