So I downloaded the python 2.7.5 msi from their website:
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.5/ and installing it manually
works exactly as one would expect. However, it seems that the puppet
installation of it does some weird things. My manifest is simple:

package ('Python 2.7.5':
  ensure => present,
  source => "\\file\share\python-2.7.5.msi",
  provider => 'windows',
}

and it certainly runs the install and creates the folders and files I would
expect. However, it does not appear in the 'Programs and Features' panel
and cannot be uninstalled by changing ensure to 'absent'.

Looking at a machine that installed it manually and a machine that
installed through puppet, one of the things that stood out to me is that
many of the registry keys found when I search for Python in regedit on the
manual installation don't show up on the puppet installed version.

I'm not sure where to start looking.

Thanks for the help!

Jason Bray