On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:36:35 PM UTC-5, Marc Huffnagle wrote:

> I have a hiera configuration that specifies the following hierarchy:
>
> :hierarchy:
>   - "nodes/%{::fqdn}"
>   - common
>
> In this example, let's say I'm using the puppetlabs ntp module, which has
> a parameter called "servers".  I have a list of NTP servers that I want to
> be used by all but one node.  On one of my nodes (let's call that node
> "agent1"), I want to use the default value for that servers parameter.
>
> If I specify that list of servers in common.yaml, it will be applied to
> all of the hosts (including on agent1).  Is there something that I can put
> in nodes/agent1.yaml that will force it to use the default parameter value,
> while the other hosts use the servers that I specify in common.yaml?  Is
> there a way to tell hiera "stop looking for this value", and prevent it
> from continuing through the hierarchy?  Even better would be a way to tell
> it "stop looking for any value under ntp".

No, there is no such feature at this time.

I'm with William in finding your objective rather unintuitive.  If you have
an exceptional node, then the Hiera approach is to provide that node's
exceptional data in a per-node hierarchy level.  I fail to see why it would
be better to embed an "abort lookup" marker in place of the data than it
would be to put the actual desired data in that same place.  Alternatively,
if you don't want to provide any data at all for a given (node, tag) pair,
then structure your hierarchy and data so that no data file that applies to
the node in question associates any value with the given tag.

John