Steven,

Can you be a little more specific about what you're trying to do?
Normally, you'd set that "department" variable in the ENC itself.

Puppet calls the ENC script (node_terminus) with the certificate name
(or is it the FQDN? I never remember, since they're both the same for
me) of the node that is requesting a catalog. Any additional information
that the ENC needs, it needs to get on its own. In the past I've always
followed the paradigm of a person manually inputting data into the ENC
via CLI script or Web UI - usually some combination of classes,
parameters and groups (templating containers holding one or more
classes, parameters, or other groups, and applied to multiple nodes).
However I don't see a reason other than time/performance why the ENC
couldn't also lookup information from facts (via PuppetDB or some other
method), Hiera, or other external data sources.

-jantman