No, when I do fresh checkouts the files are
664 petec pe-puppet site.pp

and directories will be
774 petec pe-puppet xxxx

Yes, petec is a member of pe-puppet group.

Setgid, or Set Group ID, will make the directory and files created within it
keep the ownership of the group you assign it instead of changing to the
primary group of the user who create files in it.  It’s a good way to share
files among multiple users and allow them all to read/write the same files.
Directories generally are always executable, but this method is not meant to
make files within them executable as Puppet does not need that.

More of an example for this:

I want all members of group pe-puppet to be able to edit files in a directory,
so I set group owner to pe-puppet:

chgrp pe-puppet mydir
 or
chown petec:pe-puppet mydir

We can use chmod to set the group id bit:
chmod g+s mydir

or, with numeric mode:
chmod 2774  mydir

After this the permissions of ‘mydir’ becomes:
drwxrwsr-- petec pe-puppet mydir

Now the special trick about this:  when I, or another user creates a file or
directory under 'mydir’, it will have its group set as the group owner,
‘pe-puppet’ instead of the group of the user who creates it.  So if another
user, johnc would do: mkdir mydir/newdir, it would look like:

drwxrwsr-- johnc pe-puppet newdir

And now both johnc and petec have rw access to newdir because we are both
members of ‘pe-puppet'.  If johnc were to do the above without having the
setgid bit, the above permissions would instead be:

drwxrwsr-- johnc johnc newdir

Notice also the puppet daemon is in the pe-puppet group, so this approach
ensures it has unrestricted access to its files.

I like this method as it’s fairly simple once you get the concept, and allows
doing edits/commits/checkouts without becoming root. If you don’t have other
users editing puppet files this method may not be necessary.

Also, yes I do manage all the puppet directories this way, both

/etc/puppetlabs/puppet
and
/opt/puppet/share/puppet/modules

—