hello,

On 06/11/13 08:29 PM, Philippe Conway wrote:
> So I am an UBER-NOOB at Puppet. Today is my first day using it. I am
> following along with the book: Puppet 3 Beginners guide.
>
> Everything was going fine until I start creating a nodes.pp file and
> applying the site.pp.

nodes need to be matched by fqdn in your manifests.

> *The error I am getting is this:*
>
>     [root@puppet-san2 manifests]# puppet apply site.pp
>     Error: Could not find default node or by name with
>     'puppet-san2.domain.com, puppet-san2.domain, puppet-san2' on node
>     puppet-san2.domain.com
>     Error: Could not find default node or by name with
>     'puppet-san2.domain.com, puppet-san2.domain, puppet-san2' on node
>     puppet-san2.domain.com

according to the above, your host has an fqdn of puppet-san2.domain.com, so

> *This is my nodes.pp:*
>
>     node 'demo' {
>       file { '/tmp/hello':
>         content => "Hello, world\n",
>       }
>     }

here you could rename that node to:

node 'puppet-san2' {

or

node 'puppet-san2.domain' {

or

node 'puppet-san2.domain.com' {

or you could have a node named "default" that would be used when puppet
can't match with anything else, although from personal experience I
don't recomment using the default node since this can lead to pretty
annoying surprises when you forget to create your node and run puppet on
the client.

--
Gabriel Filion