I'll wager that Michael is correct here (based on what he says, not just
his knowledge of packaging).

Can you provide the actual, full names of the package in question, or
the rpm -qi output?

My guess, based on having the same problem, is that if
ensure => '5.35.0-3_el5'
is failing, then you'll have success with
ensure => '5.35.0-3_el5.x86_64'

I can't find the supporting documentation at the moment, but based on
how the package is built (well, the values of certain fields/parameters
in the spec file), there are only certain substrings of the full package
name (packagename-X.Y.Z-release.dist.arch) that yum recognizes.

My memory of this is that you can either specify the version (X.Y.Z) or
you have to specify *everything* in the package
name/version/release/dist/arch. Or you can specify "name.arch" and a
version, as Michael suggested.

-jantman