> I run all my Puppetised servers on CentOS 6.4. Overnight there were a load
> of updates for CentOS including an update to openssl-1.0.1e-15.el6. Since
> installing the updates, PuppetDB is no longer working and seems to be having
> troubles with SSL.
>
> All my puppet nodes show:
>
> Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
> Failed to submit 'replace facts' command for
> radius-dev.nomadic-core.bris.ac.uk to PuppetDB at
> puppetdb.resnet.bris.ac.uk:8081: Connection refused - connect(2)
>
> The PuppetDB server shows:
>
> 2013-11-27 12:09:58,347 WARN  [qtp1710594959-45] [io.nio]
> javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Inbound closed before receiving peer's
> close_notify: possible truncation attack?
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips? I recreated the PuppetDB certs
> but this didn't help.

This all sounds pretty serious, but something isn't quite right here
with the information you have provided. This error:

> puppetdb.resnet.bris.ac.uk:8081: Connection refused - connect(2)

Its very rare that a bug in a running piece of code/framework whatever
will cause a connection refused (destination port unreachable) message
on its own, its usually because the port and IP you are connecting to
is wrong and your client never got to connect to your application.
Thus its the kernel that returns the error, not the application.

So generally, this doesn't marry up in my mind with this error message:

> 2013-11-27 12:09:58,347 WARN  [qtp1710594959-45] [io.nio]
> javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Inbound closed before receiving peer's
> close_notify: possible truncation attack?

This implies you _did_ connect. In short I almost believe these are
somehow unrelated, or we're mixing errors here. The SSL error is most
definitely concerning, but doesn't make sense with the connection
refused message. A connection refused usually happens long before the
client gets to the serving application, if you see what I mean :-).

Can you test the port with 'telnet puppetdb.resnet.bris.ac.uk 8081'
from the puppet master and confirm the connection refused manually?
Also - can you make sure these errors truly to correlate? Try to
reproduce both at the same time if you can. Also make sure no other
traffic is going to the PuppetDB web server at the same time.

The details for how the master connects to the PuppetDB instance is in
/etc/puppet/puppetdb.conf, double check these are correct and that the
hostname resolves to what you think it does. Also check you don't have
any firewalling enabled, its rare but firewalls can throw destination
port unreachable also.

Now the SSL error is valid and concerning to me on a separate level. I
have a whole bunch of questions though:

* What _exact_ version of the JDK is PuppetDB using? The output of
'jinfo <pid>' (pid of the jvm process for puppetdb) would be helpful
here, and the exact package revision from Centos.
* What exact version of PuppetDB are you running?
* Are you sure it was just openssl that was upgraded? Not java as
well? Double check your yum.log or whatever.
* Have you tried downgrading the recently upgraded packages to see if
it solves it? If it was an upgrade that caused it, a downgrade and
restart of PuppetDB should solve it in theory. I'd be interested if
this works, and what packages you downgraded to.
* Can you show the full stack trace from the PuppetDB log, if there is
more to it.

ken.