I personally went the tiny class route, creating a module with a bunch
of little classes for various packages.  I opted for this route as it
let me deal with naming differences between apt and yum, and let me do
repo dependencies for stuff in Epel.

Here is an example:
https://github.com/TJNII/puppet-commonpackages/blob/master/manifests/python/argparse.pp

I'm currently not making use of the forge, at this time I'm still
rolling my own modules.  So that's a bridge I'll likely have to cross
later.