On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:31:06 PM UTC-6, Pierre-Andre Malbrough
wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Im new to puppet and running into challenges getting a puppet module
> installed.
>
> so I've installed a module
> (puppet-ossec<https://github.com/nzin/puppet-ossec>),
> and I want to install it on my host.
>
> I attempted a puppet apply test/init.pp
>
> the init.pp has:
>
> include puppet-ossec::server
>
> on a single line in the file.  There is a server.pp file in the manifests
> directory of the module.
>
> I get a "storedconfigs" error:
>
> You cannot collect exported resources without storeconfigs being set; the
> collection will be ignored on line 153 in file
> /usr/share/puppet/configuration/current/modules/puppet-ossec/manifests/server.pp
>
> More distubingly it says:
>
> Error: Could not find class puppet-ossec::server
>
> I tried using ossec::server as well and that doesnt work.
>

> What am I missing?

You are missing at least two things:

   1. The intended module name is just "ossec".  The "puppet-" prefix
   should be removed from the module directory when you install it.  That's
   more or less conventional with puppet modules, except that the prefix
   normally indicates the source of the module (i.e. something like "nzin-"),
   not the target ("puppet-").
   2. Although the module's documentation says nothing about it, the module
   depends on storeconfigs to be configured in Puppet.

Thus, to install the module, you unpack it and move its top-level directory
into your module path, renaming it to plain "ossec" in the process.  That
should resolve the "Could not find class" errors.

For it to be usable to you, however, you will also need to configure
storeconfigs.  That will enable nodes to provide information about
themselves to other nodes, which the module apparently relies on them to do.

Furthermore, given the module's use of storeconfigs, I think applying any
of its classes via "puppet apply" is questionable.  I haven't studied the
module enough to reliably evaluate it, but it appears to be designed with
Puppet master/agent mode in mind.

John