Do you have use_cached_catalog set on puppet agents or puppetmaster? Are you using storeconfigs / puppetdb?

Offhand, I'd guess that when you modify mtime of site.pp by saving, that forces puppet to invalidate the cached catalog and temporarily resolve the problem.

If necessary, are you able to update to the latest 3.4rc (agent might suffice) for testing?

Jeff