On Thursday, January 2, 2014 2:18:06 AM UTC-6, james.e...@fasthosts.com
wrote:

> How about chaining the resources, ala
> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/2.7/reference/lang_relationships.html#chaining-arrows
> .
>
> Yumrepo <| |> -> Package<| |>
>
> This declared in site.pp should apply globally to all nodes and would
> avoid the use of run stages (if I understand it correctly).

It would indeed avoid the stated need for run stages.  It would also,
however, realize every virtual Yumrepo and every virtual Package declared
for each node, which is contrary to David's intent and purpose.

It might be possible to declare tags on repos, and on packages if
necessary, and to use them to filter the repositories to be realized and
chained.  However, if the use of stages is restricted to applying Yumrepos
first then I think that would be clean and reasonably safe.  I say this as
a person who is not particularly enamored of run stages in general.

John