On Friday, November 22, 2013 11:34:24 AM UTC-6, Matthew Ceroni wrote:

> I am trying to use an ENC-set top-scope variable in my Hiera hierarchy.
> However it doesn't seem to be working.

I thought that was supported.

> Here is what is returned by my ENC script (it is the foreman ENC script)
> for a node:
>
> parameters:
>   san_rafael-spacewalk: mai01-sprxy-02v
>   puppet_ca: mai01-pmstr-02v
>   group: engineering
>   spacewalk_type: site
>   san_rafael_dmz-spacewalk: mai01-sprxy-01v
>   hostgroup: base/production/engineering/quality_assurance/locked
>   san_rafael_dmz-proxy: mai01-dprxy-01v
>   spacewalk_host: mai02-swalk-01v
>   santa_rosa_dmz-spacewalk: mai02-sprxy-01v
>   root_pw: $1$ubWDPsM+$lzyZdN91QCk6dZAhMXBlM/
>   foreman_env: production
>   santa_rosa_dmz-proxy: mai02-dprxy-01v
>   activation_key: 5-839beb8c567b98c0720db37f19ecb64d
>   puppetmaster: mai01-pmstr-02v
> environment: production
> classes:
>   security::access:
>   security::users:
>
> Then in my hiera.yaml file I have:
>
> ---
> :backend:
>   - yaml
> :hierarchy:
>   - %{::clientcert}
>   - %{::group}
>   - %{::dc_location}_%{::is_dmz}
>   - %{::operatingsystem}
>   - common
>
> :yaml:
>   :datadir: '/var/lib/hiera'
>
> Then within /var/lib/hiera I added an engineering.yaml file. But it
> doesn't seem to be referenced when Hiera goes through the hierarchy. One
> way I verified this (to ensure something else funky wasn't going on) is
> that i purposely put an error in the engineering.yaml file and Puppet runs
> without issue.

In the doc that Josh cited, I find this notable tidbit: "In YAML files, *any
string containing an interpolation token must be quoted* in order to comply
with the YAML spec. (Under Ruby 1.8, interpolation tokens in unquoted
strings will sometimes work anyway, but this can’t be relied on.)"  That
would apply to your hiera.yaml file, which does not quote the
interpolations it uses.  You ought to fix that in any case, and maybe doing
so will even resolve your problem.

John