Sorry, bitten by the Gmail interface on that last one...

I'm a proponent of something like this:

http://www.craigdunn.org/2012/11/puppet-data-from-couchdb-using-hiera-http/

with classification data that doesn't change much ( 'require
::site::profile::base' ) perhaps living in YAML and specific one-off tweaks
to a node's config like perhaps an override of the default NTP server
coming from CouchDB. Much easier for the less Puppet-y people on a team to
login and twiddle things via CouchDB web interface.

--
---