Thanks for your suggestions,

Running masterless is a bit too exotic, since we would like to use all
those nice features that make a Puppet installation complete: specially
hiera searches and PuppetDB. Modules, too, should be compatible with
other clusters, so no big deviations can occur.

Enabling auto-sign, as Jose Luis suggested, may be a possibility. I have
just checked myself if autosign works if the same node was already
registered in the CA... but according to the documentation it does not
look like it, not to mention the security issues that come with it.

Does the certificate name need to match the fqdn for puppet to allow
connections?

Thanks!
BR/Pablo