Not that it is related to puppet but you should check their wiki for
example proper init scripts. I can remember there were systemd, upstart
and normal systemv scripts for logstash. Also is there a reason why you
are not using the official module. It suits our needs more than good and
it is always up to date with different plugins.

--
Nikola