That helped.  Thanks.  The key was to have the version in the title.  I had
'Puppet' and needed 'Puppet 3.4.2'.

So this appears to be an inconsistency or, more likely, a lack of
understanding on Windows packages and versioning (I'm a Linux guy).  I have
a module to deploy Java.  To get that to work, I had to have 'Java 7 Update
45' in the title which corresponds to the Name field in the Control Panel
Uninstall dialog.  However, Puppet's entry just has 'Puppet' in the Name
field.  Using just 'Puppet' in the package definition would not trigger the
install/upgrade.  What is the proper method for this in Windows?