On Friday, February 7, 2014 5:16:57 AM UTC-6, zerozer...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to use an exec resource to execute a shell script, and I'd like to
> keep the script on the puppet master.
>
> Is there a way to make the exec resource execute the script directly from
> puppet's built-in file server? It doesn't seem to accept the puppet:/// URI
> type.

No, of course not.  The 'command' property of an Exec (or its title if you
don't specify the 'command' as a separate parameter) is a literal command
such as you would issue from a shell.  Shells don't do URIs.

> Otherwise I will need to copy it locally on the client and execute it from
> there (and maybe delete it afterwards).

That is a viable option.  Alternatively, on a POSIX system such as Linux,
you could also do something like this:

exec { 'myscript':
  command => file('/path/to/script'),
  provider => 'shell'
}

where /path/to/script is the location of your script *on the master*.  That
includes the full content of the script directly in the catalog, bypassing
Puppet's file server.

John