Howdy folks,

I've got some weird behavior from one of my puppet clients (actually the
client running on the puppet master), where running the agent somehow
destroys either the yum cache or the rpm db.  Directly after running the
agent I get the following message from yum (without modifying yum.conf or
any of the .repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d/):

# yum list installed
YumRepo Error: All mirror URLs are not using ftp, http[s] or file.
 Eg. $releasever is not a valid release or hasnt been released yet/
removing mirrorlist with no valid mirrors:
/var/cache/yum/x86_64/$releasever/base/mirrorlist.txt
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base

Prior to running the puppet agent, yum was working perfectly.  I was able
to fix the above problem by reinstalling the centos-release package, but
even after doing so a 'yum list installed' and 'rpm -qa' listed the
centos-release package as *the only package installed* (clearly others were
installed but the db probably got corrupted).

Restart the puppet agent, and the error with $releasever resumed, and
centos-release was shown as not installed by both yum and rpm.

Looking through the puppet agent log (/var/log/puppet/puppet.log), I only
found this in the startup procedure:

Thu Feb 20 14:26:50 -0800 2014 Puppet (notice): Caught TERM; calling stop
Thu Feb 20 14:26:51 -0800 2014 Puppet (notice): Reopening log files
Thu Feb 20 14:26:51 -0800 2014 Puppet (notice): Starting Puppet client
version 3.4.2
Thu Feb 20 14:26:52 -0800 2014 /File[/var/lib/rpm]/ensure (notice): removed
Thu Feb 20 14:26:52 -0800 2014 /File[/var/lib/yum]/ensure (notice): removed
Thu Feb 20 14:26:55 -0800 2014 Puppet (err): Could not prefetch package
provider 'yum': Execution of '/usr/bin/python
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/puppet/provider/package/yumhelper.py' returned
1: Loaded plugins: fastestmirror

So it looks like directly after the client starts, it removes(?)
/var/lib/rpm and /var/lib/yum and then yum stops working again (with the
same $releasever) error.  The odd thing is that we have several other nodes
that are having the exact same modules applied and experiencing zero
issues, so something odd is going on with this particular node (which is
also the master).

Anyone experience anything like this or have any ideas what could be
causing the puppet runs to basically destroy the yumdb?

TIA,
Chris